I am sure of this, that he who started a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6 CSB
1 Samuel 23
Ask God and He will answer me! Never stop! I love Jonathan’s confidence and know that this confidence in the Lord comes from a life of faith. Saul calls David cunning. Here is the definition from Webster’s 1828 Dictionary:
- Knowing; skillful; experienced; well-instructed. It is applied to all kinds of knowledge, but generally and appropriately, to the skill and dexterity of artificers, or the knowledge acquired by experience.
Esau was a cunning hunter. Genesis 23:1.
I will take away the cunning artificer. Isaiah 3:3.
A cunning workman. Exodus 38:23.
- Wrought with skill; curious; ingenious.
With cherubs of cunning work shalt thou make them. Exodus 26:1.
[The foregoing senses occur frequently in our version of the scriptures, but are nearly or quite obsolete.]
- Artful; shrewd; sly; crafty; astute; designing; as a cunning fellow.
They are resolved to be cunning; let others run the hazard of being sincere.
In this sense, the purpose or final end of the person may not be illaudalbe; but cunning implies the use of artifice to accomplish the purpose, rather than open, candid, or direct means. Hence,
- Deceitful; trickish; employing stratagems for a bad purpose.
- Assumed with subtilty; artful.
Accounting his integrity to be but a cunning face of falsehood.
- Knowledge; art; skill; dexterity.
Let my right hand forget her cunning Psalms 137:5.
- Art; artifice; artfulness; craft; shrewdness; the faculty or act of using stratagem to accomplish a purpose. Hence in a bad sense, deceitfulness or deceit; fraudulent skill or dexterity.
Discourage cunning in a child; cunning is the ape of wisdom.
I put this in so you can see how awesome the 1828 Noah Webster’s Dictionary is to refer to and how our language was used in a much more stunning way! Also, I didn't put the scriptures in, Noah Webster did! Back to 1 Samuel 23:
The great reality is that God was for David and if God be for David or anyone else, who could possibly have victory over Him? This promise covers me! God anointed David to be king of Israel so nothing was going to come against this covenant. En Gedi is one of the most beautiful places to me, in Israel. It is truly an oasis in the desert.